Sunday, August 24, 2008

Volunteering at the Last Day of Run for the Fallen

My husband and daughter and I got up at 3 a.m. this morning to drive to Arlington,VA, to volunteer through Soldiers Angels 

at the  Final Day Event  of   Run for the Fallen

Got to the Pentagon staging area a little after 6:00 a.m. and got our assignment to stand and cheer the runners on at the Tidal Basin.

We got two good videos of the runners as they passed us:

 

 

and part two,after they had circled around and were heading to Arlington National cemetary

Saw lots of other Angel volunteers! and the speech given at the end by the founder of the Run was very moving. This was an amazing and awe-inspiring effort, 10 weeks of running one mile at a time in honor and memory of our fallen from Iraq and Afghanistan.

(also, Didn't see several folks I was hoping to....sorry I didn't have a chance to say Hello!)

While the runners and volunteers went on into the cemetary after the run, we had to head back home.....but we were So humbled to have been a small part of the last day of this Run.

To all the runners....thank you, for remembering.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful support for the fallen Hero's.I could feel the atmosphere just by watching the video's. Thank you so much for remembering me to watch the wonderful event. I think I should have moved to the USA we don't have anything like that for our troops apart from Anzac Day. I think the Americans are very lucky to show such support for their troops, We can't even write to ours. It sometimes makes me ashamed we can not show as much Patriosm as you. Our troops get killed and no one knows, no ceromies to welcome them home.no letters from ordinary people that have no dealings with the Military. I am so glad I belong to such a wonderful organization. I always consider myself very honored to have been accepted as "A Soldier's Angel" and have to oppertunity to meet such caring people as your self.
Thank you for sharing. Take care stay safe Angel Hugs
Soldier's Angel Cyndy and The 3 Amigo's in Australia
Lucy,Katie ad Bear

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous way for you to spend the day.  Thank you for all the hard work you do for our soldiers.  My cousin Jeff is about to leave for his second deployment to Afganistan.  Please keep him in your prayers.

Love, Leslie