Saturday, April 8, 2006

Thoughts about Fred Phelps

I started this blog mainly as another way to 'get the word out' about supporting the troops. So I decided in the beginning that I did not want to get into anything controversial on here, as I felt that would detract from the message.

However, I feel I do have to say something about this particular subject...because it's the opposite of 'supporting the troops'.I don't know how many of you have heard of Fred Phelps? I refuse to call his organization a 'church', because I don't think it's representative of anything to do with churchgoing, or for that matter Christianity, as I know it.

You may have seen news reports that Phelps and his organization have been picketing the funerals of soldiers killed by IED's (Improvised Explosive Devices).This has led to legislators trying to enact laws to restrict picketing at funerals 

 
and it's also led to the formation of a group called the Patriot Guard Riders, a group of veterans and other folks who support the troops, who go in at the request of the families of those whose funerals are being targeted to shield and support the family during the funeral. 
 
Well, this past Thursday, Phelps and his organization decided to expand their operations, and picket at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. This link to the Free Republic shows graphic pictures of Phelps' followers carrying their signs and stomping on American flags, among other things. Click here: AAR: Phelps' Traveling Freak Show Greeted by DC Chapter at Walter Reed 4/6/06 (Graphics Intensive)  
 
I decided to write a post after I saw that wounded servicemembers at WRAMC had showed up to counter protest. Although I do not want to give Phelps any more publicity than he already has, I do think I need to speak up in counter protest myself. Part of what I do as a member of Soldiers Angels is send cards to wounded soldiers who are recovering at military hospitals across the country. I do this because I think when someone is in the hospital recovering from their injuries and attempting to rebuild their lives, they need to know that some of their fellow Americans are thinking of them and praying for them. I just personally think that the LAST thing they need is a 'hate' group to show up carrying signs that say 'Thank God for Maimed Soldiers' and spitting or stomping on the American flag. I'm wondering why Phelps and company did not just spit directly on the wounded servicepeople, since that seems to be in essence what they were attempting to do?
 
If you look at my links on the left, you'll see that I have links to blogs by or about recovering soldiers ("For Noah", "Captain Jason","Contact Right..Under Fire")When you read their stories, I hope you'll think of them going through their daily struggles in recovery.....and then think of them looking out the windows at Walter Reed and seeing Phelps and company carrying those signs.
 
I am thankful that some of the recovering soldiers, and some members of Rolling Thunder and the Patriot Guard, and members of Free Republic showed up to counter protest this particular demonstration.
But if you were disturbed or sickened by the pictures of this protest....I urge you to DO something positive in reaction to this. Please get INVOLVED in some way...whether it's Soldiers Angels, or any of the other organizations that I have listed on the left,please consider doing something to let the young men and women who are recovering from injuries know that these people are NOT representative of how this country's citizens feel about our wounded troops. Please let them know that there are some people who are NOT 'thanking God' that their lives have been forever changed by injuries they received in the service of our country.
 
That, I think, would be one of the best ways to 'counter protest' this hate-mongering organization.

No comments: