Sunday, October 7, 2007

This is just 'Random",LOL

In conversations with my 15 year old, she continually accuses me of being 'random', i.e. I will suddenly veer off conversationally into a completely different subject that's unrelated to what we were talking about it.

I admit it, I Am 'random',LOL:)  And so is this blog post, since it's just pulling together some odds and ends that pretty much don't have anything to do with each other.

First of all, Yay! I finally got a   Milblogging.com   T-shirt (as modeled by 'me on pain meds' in the lovely photo below,lol:)

I also got a  Bad Voodoo Platoon  T-shirt  (which I'm only showing you a shot of the logo, as I look even Worse in That picture, if that's possibly conceivable,ha ha:)

I'd really like to tell you how you could order one of these for yourself....but, when I went back to the Bad Voodoo website? the 'Store' link was 'under construction', and there wasn't a link anymore on Toby's  Northern Exposure  blog, so I remain clueless as to exactly how I ever ordered this in the first place.  If I ever find out, I'll be sure to pass the word along :)  UPDATE  Now the link to the Bad Voodoo Platoon Store has magically reappeared on   Milblogging.com  in the upper right-hand corner.  (and yikes, my picture has also appeared on Milblogging.com in a blog post. Thanks,JP!...I think. Geez, wish I'd picked a better picture of me modeling the shirt. LOL:)  

Moving along randomly, one benefit of my recuperation is that I got caught up on several books I've been wanting to read, the main one being

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

(yes, I tend to read bestsellers several years after everyone else)  The book was fantastic, I can see why it was a bestseller for so long, and if you haven't read it yet, you should really consider doing so.  A 'must read'.

I also read a couple of Dean Koontz books (one of my fave authors)

Click here: Amazon.com: By the Light of the Moon: Books: Dean Koontz

 
I remembered   a promise  to go back and find out the winner's of two contests I promoted on this blog, so here are the winners
 
Click here: Folgers Sweepstakes—Winners  (the soldier I asked y'all to vote for was a Weekly winner, but not the Grand Prize winner)
 
and no, Christian Bagge didn't win this one, either  
 
I heard from JP over at Milblogging.com that he missed seeing Chuck Norris by One Day while Norris was in Iraq! but if you want to read Chuck's own words about his trip, here's a link
 
 
JP also rated a mention from a milblogger that I had first come across when He was Aso in Afghanistan back in '05, and then had lost track of and just stumbled across again the other day
 
ah, how time marches on, Sonny has been promoted (and mea culpa, I saw it somewhere in the archives when I 're-found' his blog, and can't recall his rank) and ole 'Spc' Borda is now a Sgt.  Once again, he and Sonny (a 'Virginia Boy',ya'll,although does 'Northern Virginia' Really count?) are in the same country, and blogging...as Sonny said 'small world'.
 
Yesterday was the Key Presentation for the Home for  Eric Edmundson , keep your eye on his site as I'm sure they'll post updates and pics soon....Congratulations! Eric and Stephanie and Gracie, and God Bless your new home!
 
My sis and brother-in-law have booked their tickets for China, Yay!
 
 
 
and,last in my random post, here's the reason that everyone is urging you to 'think Christmas' in October:
 
 
BRINGING THE HOLIDAYS TO MILITARY MEN AND WOMEN
Postal Service outlines guidelines for shipping to military installations overseas

Washington, DC - Military families and organizations across the country preparing care packages to mail to service members overseas for the holidays need to mark Nov. 12 on their calendars.

Packages being sent by Parcel Post to all Air/Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) ZIP Codes should be mailed no later than Saturday, Nov. 12, to reach troops stationed overseas in time for the holidays. Letters and cards sent by First-Class Mail should be posted no later than Dec. 10. There are more than 80 military installations worldwide.

"We are asking families and supporters to mail and ship early this year to insure a happy holiday for our troops," said John E. Potter, Postmaster General and CEO of the U.S. Postal Service"

To address current demand, the Postal Service has created a special "kit" that contains the necessary mailing materials based on the most popular items ordered to send care packages to the troops.

This kit may be ordered by calling 1-800-610-8734 and requesting CAREKIT04. The kit contains 10 Priority Mail boxes, five "Mili-Pacs," one roll of Priority Mail tape, and 10 customs forms with envelopes. There is no charge for the kit.

Mili-Pacs, developed with the Military Postal Service Agency, are Tyvek envelopes with Old Glory on one side and feature detailed addressing information. It is encouraged that this process be followed for all mail destined for military units overseas. The address block on the Mili-Pac accommodates service member's full name, rank or rating, military organization or unit, APO/FPO with 9-digit ZIP Code.

All packages and mail must be addressed to individual service members, in accordance with U.S. Department of Defense regulations.

All military units are assigned an APO or FPO ZIP code and in many cases that ZIP Code travels with the unit. The Postal Service places APO/FPO mail on special charter flights, commercial airlines and military service aircraft to reach armed services members overseas as quickly as possible.

MILITARY MAILING DEADLINES

Military Mail Addressed To Express Mail® Military Service (EMMS)1 First-Class Mail® Letters/Cards Priority Mail® Parcel Airlift Mail (PAL)2 Space Available Mail (SAM)3 Parcel Post®
APO/FPO AE ZIPs 090-092    Dec 19 Dec 10 Dec 10 Dec 3 Nov 26 Nov 12
APO/FPO AE ZIP 093 N/A Dec 5 Dec 5 Dec 3 Nov 26 Nov 12
APO/FPO AE ZIPs 094-098 Dec 19 Dec 10 Dec 10 Dec 3 Nov 26 Nov 12
APO/FPO AA ZIPs 340 Dec 19 Dec 10 Dec 10 Dec 3 Nov 26 Nov 12
APO/FPO AP ZIPs 962-966 Dec 19 Dec 10 Dec 10 Dec 3 Nov 26 Nov 12



That's all for today,folks :)
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathi !
This blog post seemed like a fun, welcome wagon-type happy time to me.
It seemed pretty coherent to me, butmaybe Ijust like your style... lol.   I don't think that you are random.

I spent 2 Christmas seasons in Vietnam, but the weather was so hot and humid that it passted uneventful and nobody I personally knew got zapped that day.  But actually, we had a 3 day truce with the Viet Cong/ NVA (bad guys|) to cease fire for that appointed time-- although we still flew missions to se what they were up to.   It so happened that they used that time to reinforce their bunker with concrete and it was so strong that our own Army helicopters could not crack them and we had to call in the Air force jets to "lay an egg" on the enemies bunker complex.....  POOF !  End of story, Christmas of 1970 in my theator of war.

My God bless your efforts to comfort and console the combat troops in battle!
And may allof them come to know the Lord Jesus for true salvation~!


Tom Schuckman  
email: tschuckman@aol.com                                                                                                              
Disabled Vietnam Veteran: 1968-70          
http://journals.aol.com/tschuckman/OldSoldierTomsJournal/                
"Am I therefore become your enemy,
because I tell you the TRUTH ? ---Galatians 4:16


Anonymous said...

My daughter's orthodontist is coordinating some of those boxes, too!  Once I get a few spare moments in my life, we plan to participate.
Ah, pain meds.  Did it give you gumption enough to have the photos taken?  My daughter and I are well known for our random thoughts, so I like to think that puts you in good company:)   Glad to see you up and about, anyway.