Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St.Patrick's Day!(and stories I send in letters for Soldiers Angels)

Happy St.Patrick's Day!

When I first joined the Letter Writing Team of Soldiers Angels, I was wondering what to write to total strangers.As I said earlier(see 'What Kind of People Join Soldiers Angels" entry)I am sort of a 'dork'as my family so affectionately puts it:)I realized when searching for what to write that this can be a blessing,because at least it gives you something interesting to write in your letters.

So, after starting the letter by thanking them for their service to our country, I include stories like this:

I had previously had an experience where I hit the metal 'Children's Miracle Network' donation thing at the Dairy Queen drive-thru window while pulling up to pay, and thought I was the only person who'd ever done this.

However, I was very excited the other day to meet someone else who'd done the same thing!I went home from Subways(which is next to Dairy Queen) and told my boyfriend"Hey, I met someone else who hit the donation thing at the drive-thru window at Dairy Queen!"

He asked me,"Exactly HOW would this subject ever come up in the first place?"

 I said"well, when I was in Subways, I was reading the menu on the board and walking sideways at the same time(doing 2 things at once again, when will I learn?) and I sort of bumped into the chips display and it kind of got caught on my jeans pocket for a second.....and then the poor kid behind the counter tried to stifle a laugh,so I looked at him and said 'yeah, I am a dork' .

(The boyfriend said,"I'm not sure you needed to tell him that, he might have already figured that out!")

and I went on to tell the kid...'not too long ago I ran into the Children's Miracle network donation thing while pulling up to the drive thru over at Dairy Queen" and the kid told me 'Oh, I've done that!"

and I was just so HAPPY to learn that someone else had done it!

Well, both my boyfriend and my daughter were convulsed with laughter while I was happily telling them this story, and then my boyfriend finally managed to gasp out....."the picture of you walking thru Subways with the chips display attached to you in my head!"......and doubled over laughing again.And I said "Hey! It was only caught on my jeans pocket for just a second!"

I emailed this story to my family(who are used to stories like this ) and my MOM emailed back later in the day and said "This is hysterical.I keep rereading this just to laugh."(which I thought mothers were supposed to be a little more sympathetic?lol)

I share this story of things I write in my letters NOT to say that you have to be uncoordinated to write to the troops!<smile>but just to give you the idea of writing happenings in your everyday life.Just write like you would to your friends or family(hopefully a family more sympathetic than mine?)and it's easy!:)

No comments: