Tuesday, March 28, 2006

One of My Personal Heroes

This man is one of my personal heroes. Rick Rescorla. This picture of him was on the cover of the book "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young" but I came to know who he was after September 11,2001. He was the head of security for Morgan Stanley Dean Witter in the South tower of the World Trade Center, and when the attack occurred, he evacuated all but 6 of the 2700 employees and then perished when the tower collapsed.I read about him in the book "Heart of A Soldier" .And his story has also since been told on the History Channel in "The Man Who Predicted 9/11"

I knew that his wife had been working to erect a memorial statue for him, and had not stopped by the site she has in his memory for awhile. Stopped by there today, and was pleased to see that the statue will be unveiled on April 1. Click here: Rick Rescorla.com  (Although she is asking for more contributions)

As it says on the site, Mr. Rescorla was..."A retired Army colonel, veteran of combat in three wars and a survivor of the 1993 bombing of the twin towers (in which he saved the lives of hundreds of Morgan Stanley employees), Rescorla was killed in the WTC attacks of September 11, 2001."

I just wanted to share a bit about one of my personal heroes with all of you.

No comments: