Thursday, March 9, 2006

Why I started this journal

February and March has seen Soldiers Angels receive a HUGE influx of names submitted for support, and supply can't keep up with demand.

When you receive your names to write to for the Soldiers Angels letter writing team, they often include info sent along with the submission. When you are reading requests like:  

"No specific request just letters to deployed soldiers to show them that someone still cares for them would be great."

OR

"....it gets really lonely over here."     "...... receives almost no mail."        

Well, it just makes you want to do all you can to let these people know we DO care.

I don't think I'm Ms.Wonderful Writer, but I run  a private blog on AOL for my family and friends and I posted there all the time about supporting the troops..... which wasn't going to get the word out to anyone new!(and I'm sure by this point they are all rolling their eyes and saying 'she's not writing about that AGAIN!":)

But after thinking about it, I thought 'well, I COULD try a 'public' journal on AOL. Then,if even one person stumbles across it......that's maybe one more person writing a letter!or sending a care package. or sending a card.

I was mainly thinking that doing SOMETHING is a lot better than doing NOTHING,so it was worth a try.    Of course, the hit counter on these journals seems to go up every time you do anything to them, which means it's totally useless as far as knowing if anyone besides myself has ever seen this page <smile>

But, if you were saying to yourself "what can I do to support the troops?".......maybe this page will lead you to that.  I hope so:)

Because the end result would then be someone at mail call getting their name called, and walking away with a smile and the knowledge that someone cares.

No comments: