Sunday, March 5, 2006

How It Started

Almost two years ago, I started reading 'milblogs'. (Military weblogs.) As I read the words of those deployed, I wanted a way to let them know that there were some folks back here who were supporting them. Who were keeping them in our prayers daily. And who were proud of them, and proud of being Americans.

I came across an organization called Soldiers Angels, and decided to join their Letter Writing Team. I didn't realize at the time that this would become an addiction,lol. Nine months later, I have probably written almost 200 letters. Plus somewhere along the way, I have decided to join other groups in Soldiers Angels. So now I'm also involved in sending out cards for the Cards team.....birthday cards, cards to the wounded who are recovering,and just plain old encouragement cards for someone who might need an extra bit of TLC. And also emailing 'E-pals.':)

I started this with the wholehearted support of my boyfriend ,who's former Army, who insists whenever I might feel discouraged...."You have NO IDEA how IMPORTANT Mail Call is!"He says,"Picture 20 guys standing around and someone is handing out letters....and they're all thinking...'will my name be called today?will I get a note that lets me know that someone cares?'"He says"Even if you don't know the person who wrote the letter, it's like getting a small vacation .....a piece of the outside world that takes you away for just a moment from where you are."

I didn't get into this for any 'political' reasons. It was just that mostly as the mother of 2 sons who are the same age as so many of those currently deployed, the 'mom' in me wanted to say to all those young men and women...."yes, we ARE thinking of you back here at home, we have NOT forgotten you, and we CARE about you!"

As the daughter of a veteran, I was raised to respect military service. What better way to honor and respect those who are serving than to write a 'Thank You' note?

I never got into this expecting anything in return. I felt it all boiled down to one human being telling another human being...."I am grateful for you and the job that you are doing."(And Soldiers Angels stresses over and over not to expect people to write back....they are, after all, in the middle of a war.)

So it has been an unexpected blessing TO hear back from those I've written to sometimes. I have had the privilege of getting to know some extraordinary people, who give me great hope for the future of our country.And it'salso been an unexpected blessing to get to know some of the other 'Angels'. They range from young to old,but they are all passionately committed to letting our troops know that they care.

I am not a rich person.....I wish I could afford to send packages and packages to those deployed, as yet another way to let them know we are thinking of them.But I CAN write letters.

If you are looking for a way to support our troops....consider Soldiers Angels, or check out one of the other organizations listed to the left.

All it really boils down to is one person taking the time to let another person know that they are important. So easy,really:)

So,please,consider doing something today!

No comments: