Friday, May 12, 2006

More About Soldiers Angels, A Wounded Hero, and Some Projects!

I think I've said before that I'm part of the LWT(Letter Writing Team) at Soldiers Angels, and also part of the CARDS PLUS team, and the WOUNDED TLC team.You can get more info about these teams by going to the Soldiers Angels forum 

 
and clicking on the logos of each of the teams.
 
When you are on the LWT, and you see this comment with the name you are recieving to write to?
"The simplest letter can bring so much ease to a
hard and stressfull day"
believe me, you really want to send off a note to the soldier that wrote that right away!
 
And as part of the CARDS PLUS team, I just yesterday had the nicest and most unexpected thing happen to me. A soldier wrote a 'thank you' letter for a simple Birthday Card that I had sent as part of that team!!! I was just awestruck that A. something so simple for me to do had meant so much to someone, and B.  the soldier had actually taken the time to write a letter in response to a card.....what an extraordinary person this soldier must be!I walked around with a smile on my face the rest of the day.....how nice it was to know that I really made a difference for someone!
 
While I am committed to all these teams, I think as an LPN the one that perhaps strikes the deepest chord for me is the WOUNDED TLC team. And this is the team where you can expect the LEAST response, because these soldiers are focused on recovery and adjusting to the changes in their lives. (However, even here I was pleasantly surprised...there was actually one soldier who made an effort to track down and thank every single Soldiers Angels member he could find,just for sending him cards.. Truly 'one in a million'...which is not to say that the others were not grateful, only that sometimes you are afforded the privilege of meeting someone rare and unique when you least expect it.)
 
I think part of why this team holds a special place in my heart is because ,having been to the VA hospital a few different times with my boyfriend and seeing some of the veterans of  previous wars there....it's very important to methat those who have suffered wounds be reassured that they are NOT forgotten during their recovery process. (and even beyond their immediate recovery.) I just can't bear to think that someone who has served our country, and suffered injury because of that service, would ever think for a MOMENT that perhaps no one remembers or cares.
 
Which leads me to the next part of my post ....via Kat at Yikes! I was alerted to a posting by David at The Thunder Run about a recovering hero who could use some letters or cards . 
 
No, he is not as far as I know right now under the Soldiers Angels umbrella, or I could not be posting the information about him. But I'm hoping that the good folks who read this will feel led to send him a card or a note!Thank you, if you do
 
And then there are 3 projects I want to mention. One is a Soldiers Angels project  
 
and the other two are fellow bloggers who want some help in letting our troops know we support them. You may think it's early to be thinking of the Fourth of  July? but when they are sending out cards and letters via the mail to places far away!
 
They are Kat at Yikes!
 
and "Proud Fan" at Freedom Isn't Free
 
Whatever you get involved in, that's what I'm hoping you'll be motivated to do....get involved!
 
And wishing a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! to all moms!

 

No comments: