Friday, June 2, 2006

Weekend Surfing

Posting has been light this week because I became employed again this week,yay:) I had lost my job back in Dec. due to a back injury at home,which required longer time off than my job would allow since I had been at that job for less than 6 months.(That was my Christmas present <sarcastic snort> two days before Christmas they said "per our policy, we're removing you from payroll since you'll need to be out longer than 2 weeks and you've been here less than 6 months.")

So, I am very happy 5 months later(and 10 pounds heavier,those darn cookies!)to be gainfully employed again. It's an assisted living facility and I'll be primarily on the Alzheimer's unit,and I have always loved working with Alzheimer's patients.

Also this week, my boyfriend's son graduated from high school! :) and I received several pieces of 'free mail' as they call it.(Since those in the military can mail their letters for free.) One was an update from someone I began writing to via  Anysoldier.com   almost a year ago, he had sent a final letter to a number of us who had written to him from the beginning of the deployment, as his unit is getting ready to come home! And the other free mail was a 'thank you' note from a soldier I had sent a birthday card to, as part of the  Cards Plus  team at  Soldiers Angels.

I am always astounded(and honored) by those who take time in the middle of being deployed to a war zone to write back to total strangers......but especially by someone like the first soldier, who sustains the correspondence throughout his deployment....and someone like the second soldier, who sends a 'thank you' for a simple Birthday Card!!God bless our troops:)

I didn't get on the computer as much this week,lol, but I still found some places to point out for my recurring 'surf' posts:

Back on April 28 , I had posted that THE MILITARY CHANNEL was looking for soldiers videos. (and they are STILL looking) but if you go here 

Click here: Military Channel :: phrase   (Go to "Click here to view My War Diary submissions" on the lower right.)
 
They have gotten some that you can view. I clicked on the 'rap' video 'First Time' and was cracking up, because it also has soldiers talking in it over the rap...and one young man had something funny to say about something folks send in "those pretty packages".
 
I post so many blogs/websites I find about wounded soldiers, that I thought I should go back and 'check' on how some of them were doing. So, here are two that I've featured before
 
 
HERO TO HERO is already listed on my blogroll, but they are almost at the end of their month long tour. They are "emergency  responders giving the shirts off their backs to show their support for our deployed troops" and the pictures are great from their tour.
 
I did come across a new blog  (via, as ever, Milblogging.com ) this soldier is nearing the end of his deployment (yay:) and is a great read     
 
and in looking through his previous entries, I was awed and humbled to discover that he and some others are already planning something to honor the memory of those they have lost while in Iraq  
 
And that's the 'weekend surf'. Have a good weekend!

No comments: