So when her condo association told her she'd have to take it down after Labor Day or face a fine, Richard was resolute - the flag was staying up. She's written letters to everyone from the local veterans' group to President Bush......."
Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday,
the third day of January, two thousand and six
To ensure that the right of an individual to display the flag of the United States on residential property not be abridged.
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
- This Act may be cited as the `Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005'.
- For purposes of this Act--
- (1) the term `flag of the United States' has the meaning given the term `flag, standard, colors, or ensign' under section 3 of title 4, UnitedStates Code;
- (2) the terms `condominium association' and `cooperative association' have the meanings given such terms under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603);
- (3) the term `residential real estate management association' has the meaning given such term under section 528 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 528); and
- (4) the term `member'--
- (A) as used with respect to a condominium association, means an owner of a condominium unit (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association;
- (B) as used with respect to a cooperative association, means a cooperative unit owner (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96-399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association; and
- (C) as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.
- A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.
- Nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with--
- (1) any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or
- (2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association.
Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Vice President of the United States and
President of the Senate.
In researching the news story further on the web, I came across Numerous articles and news reports, just a few of which I will post links to here
1005 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-0701
Phone: (202) 225-2265
|Dodd, Christopher J.- (D - CT)||Class III|
|448 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510|
At the Capitol:
In the District:
Lastly, Warren Wenz of the East Windsor Veterans Commissionis the only one who seems to have stepped up to the plate thus far to support Teresa Richards, by writing a letter on her behalf to the HOA. (See the Fox News story ) I think Mr. Wenz and that Veterans Commission deserves a big THANK YOU, and their website is here
My admittedly brief take on this all is that it appears in 2004 the Stoughton Ridge Condo Association adopted rules that seem to be overridden by the 2005 Freedom to Display the American Flag Act? And since they backed down when a previous resident told to remove a flag display told them he was hiring a lawyer, I have a feeling that, particularly with all this adverse publicity, they will back down again?
I will post updates to this when I find out more info/am able to with my work schedule:) but in the meantime, if you wish to post a message of support for Teresa Richard?the best place to do so appears to be in the comments section of this news article
God bless our troops and their families....particularly this mother who is fighting for the right to display an American flag in support of her son. Please consider joining your voice to her fight.