Saturday, February 3, 2007

February 3-Four Chaplains Day

One of the many subscriptions I get is William J. Federer's American Minute in my daily inbox. Today's email informed me that today was Four Chaplains Day.

From Wikipedia

The Four Chaplains were four Army chaplains who gave their lives when the USAT Dorchester was hit by a torpedo and sank on February 3, 1943. They helped other soldiers board lifeboats and gave up their life jackets when the supply ran out. 230 men of the 902 aboard survived the attack.

(You can read the rest of the entry here ) 

 
and then I also found a website for a foundation
 
I think it's appropriate here to once again place the quote that has recently been on the Wednesday Hero blogroll posts
 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.  George S. Patton,Jr.
 

(and in checking out Technorati tags about this, I came across the website of a woman whose grandfather was the captain of the ship 
 
 

No comments: