Saturday, October 21, 2006

UPDATES: Auction,Homecomings, and This N That

AUCTION UPDATE   A link to updates on the auction for Spc. Reid Stanley and family by Third Wave Dave 

and also there is a listing of bloggers posting about this so far

Anna at A Rose By Any Other Name
Army Wife Toddler Mom
Third Wave Dave
Chris
Pam at BlogmeisterUSA
Marathon Pundit
Gawfer2001
Brainster

Lonestar Pundit
The Right Place
Semper Gratus
SomeSoldiers Mom
Tanker Brothers
Warm & Fuzzy Conserva-puppies
Milblogging.com
My Life As A Military Spouse

Truth Laid Bear
Op-For
Kasee267
Hugh Hewitt
BlackFive - Uncle Jimbo
Hillary Needs A Vacation
Unconsidered Trifles
Soldiers Angels - Holly Aho
Soldiers Angel - Kathi (and yeah, I'm on here twice, I cross-posted on my MySpace blog...didn't realize they'd also list that)
Common Sense America
Milblogs

Why not consider posting yourself, and adding your name to the list? Let's spread the word about this! (and for more info, see my previous post.)

I'd also like to pass on that for those not interested in participating in the auction, but who would like to contribute something? You can go here

 
Thank you, for whatever you can do, either posting, or participating in the auction, or contributing directly! (and the auction link islisted in the post below also.)
 
HOMECOMINGS!!
Two are home, Yay!!
 
 
 (and he is the very FIRST Milblog I ever read,way back on his first deployment....he just finished his THIRD one!)
 
 
(Why not stop by and leave them a welcome note?:)
 
And three are coming home soon!
 
 
 
 
THE SANDBOX AGAIN (and I'm a dork,lol)
 
I keep mentioning The Sandbox and then find out yesterday that one of the bloggers I have listed in my blogroll had a post up there!!!(and I somehow missed it ) so please go check out
 
 
by Sack at Half A World Away  (and sorry, Sack, for not seeing this sooner!)
 
ANOTHER MILBLOGGER BOWS OUT
 
Hate to see this, as milblogs are what led directly to me becoming a member of Soldiers Angels (and also introduced me to Anysoldier.com )
but Milbogging.com has the story here
 
 
and a related story earlier
 
 
It seems kind of ironic, that there is this crackdown on blogs when the President himself espoused blogs as a way to get information back in March ?
 
(From the transcript President Discusses War on Terror, Progress in Iraq in West Virginia )
"Q.....This is my husband, who has returned from a 13-month tour in Tikrit.....His job while serving was as a broadcast journalist. And he has brought back several DVDs full of wonderful footage of reconstruction, of medical things going on. And I ask you this from the bottom of my heart, for a solution to this, because it seems that our major media networks don't want to portray the good.
They just want to focus on another car bomb, or they just want to focus on some more bloodshed, or they just want to focus on how they don't agree with you and what you're doing, when they don't even probably know how you're doing what you're doing anyway. But what can we do to get that footage on CNN, on FOX, to get it on headline news, to get it on the local news? Because you can send it to the news people --can you use this, and it will just end up in a drawer, because it's good, it portrays the good. And if people could see that, if the American people could see it, there would never be another negative word about this conflict.
 
THE PRESIDENT:.........
And one of the -- there's word of mouth, there's blogs, there's Internet, there's all kinds of ways to communicate which is literally changing the way people are getting their information. And so if you're concerned, I would suggest that you reach out to some of the groups that are supporting the troops, that have got Internet sites, and just keep the word -- keep the word moving."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I think as the commenter said on the Milblogging.com story about the blogger bowing out....we just aren't going to see the same blogging that we saw even two years from those in the military....another reason Matt at Blackfive says he wanted to write 'The Blog of War'
 
I'd hate to see milblogs disappear altogether. Well, we'll just have to watch and wait and see what happens, I suppose.
 
And those are my updates for this evening.
As Always, God bless our Troops!
 

Tags

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link.  Your blog is fun to read as always.

As far as the crackdown on blogging, we've seen a lot of traffic on that over here recently.  It is the standard problem, some people abuse it and then everyone ends up paying for it.  Unfortunately, there is a big problem with soldiers posting information that can be used against us, so the knee jerk reaction is to shut it down for everyone.  I think the answer is simply better monitoring and punishment for the abusers, but it is much easier logistically just to shut them off.  I know I'll keep my fingers crossed that things don't change for the rest of my tour, it has really helped my morale keeping in touch with people back home.

Have a great week.
SGT Sack