Thursday, May 3, 2007

Just in time for the Milblog Conference....the End of Milblogging?

This Friday and Saturday will be the  2007 Milblog Conference  (which yours truly will be attending:)

and just yesterday, Noah Shachtman at Wired posted about an Army directive issued on April 19  

 Click here: Army Squeezes Soldier Blogs, Maybe to Death -

as Joe the Journals Editor notes  Click here: Looks Like We'll Have Lots to Talk About at the MilBlog Conference

I've been a milblog reader for the past two years now, and if you are even a casual reader of milblogs.......I'm sure you've noticed that the directive that Shachtman posted about has caused a furor in the 'milblogosphere', to put it mildly.

While I think the directive is alarming, as I think it would be a huge mistake to silence the voices of our troops on the ground altogether, I noticed amid all the clamor on milblogs a few voices urging cool heads

Click here: Army to Wired: 'First line is not true' « The D-Ring: Where the military and new media collide

Click here: A Most Serene Republic Blog: Now calm down

And here's what THE penultimate milblogger, Blackfive, has to say about it 

 Click here: BLACKFIVE: The END of Military Blogging

The Washington Post weighs in   Click here: Soldiers Face Punishment Over Blogs - washingtonpost.com

and the inestimable Michelle Malkin has Two posts about this

Click here: Michelle Malkin: Army crack down on bloggers

 
Another place to go to be well informed about the whole issue is
 
 
where multiple milbloggers, whose opinions and knowledge I respect highly, discuss this.
 
Lastly, here's what Hugh Hewitt has to say 
 
I'm sure I'll have more to post about this whole issue after the Conference.....but I wanted to pass on these links now.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I'll have to peruse some of these link,s too!  And, of course you're on tp of this and attending.......  it's interesting, how to balance expression and personal  communication and free speech, with truly needed security?  -- Robin

Anonymous said...

Kathi,

It's Steve Field from the D-Ring... what a great round-up of the conversation on this topic. Quite an important discussion, and one that comes at a good time.

I'll look out for you at the conference. Look forward to meeting you!

Best,
Steve
The D-Ring
http://dring.wordpress.com