Saturday, July 14, 2007

Just Finished Reading "A World Undone:The Story of the Great War,1914 to 1918" by G.J. Meyer

I haven't been around the blogosphere too much lately. That's partly because my work schedule has been crazy-busy, and also it was Dustin's last bit of time here at home. (plus, it seems everytime I Did find a moment to sit down at the computer, someone in my family would come up and say 'I just need to get on the computer for a minute".....and I'd never have a chance to get back on the computer again,lol.)

But I also haven't been around because for the last week or so, I have been reading this book

Click here: Amazon.com: A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918: Books: G.J. Meyer

which has just kept me riveted.

It's an extremely good overview of the First World War, and it caught my eye because of our visit to the War Memorials in DC last February, when you may recall that we came upon the DC WW I memorial

which, as I blogged at the time, A Visit to the Wall, and Other Memorials upset me very much, because of the dilapidated condition of the Memorial.

I have a habit of cruising the non-fiction section of the library, because, well, that's just how us geeks 'roll',lol. (oh, if my 15 year old ever read my blog, she would be cringing right now, and saying, "Mom, OLD people CANNOT talk like that!! It's just NOT allowed!")

And my discovery of the "Great War" Memorial had made me realize that I actually knew very little About WW I , except for the standard "World War I started when Archduke Franz Ferdninand and his wife were assasinated" that we all learned way back in grade school.

This book opened my eyesto an understanding of all the reasons why World War I changed the face of warfare so radically, to the unbelievable carnage that occurred during that war, and to why the world truly Was never the same afterwards.

The author also did a wonderful job of explaining the politics that led to the war, and (most importantly to me,) explored not only the personalities of the key military and political leaders during that time, but excerpted quotes from letters from ordinary soldiers who fought in it, to show the average man's mindset.

So, if you're looking for a good read and want to know more about the history of World War I ? I highly recommend this book.

No comments: